Our Chapter House
Known as the David Swing House No. 3, this brick residence with Italianate elements, was built in 1862.
It was the home of the growing family of Elizabeth (Porter) and David Swing, a Miami Graduate who returned to Oxford to teach at Miami after studying theology in Cincinnati. After the Swings moved to Chicago in 1866, where Swing because a nationally known minister, subsequent occupants included another minister's family with a live-in African-American servant in the 1870s, and a retired farmer and wife (both from Ireland) in the 1880s, whose daughters inherited and occupied the home until 1910.
For almost a decade it was a fraternity house before being purchased by geology professor William and Katherine (Hoffman) Shideler, who lived here until the late 1950's/ In the 1960s ACACIA Fraternity acquired the property and enlarged the house with a two-storey addition to the rear and later removed the paint from the front facade.